Monday, June 8, 2015

Event: Dubai Poetry Slam (June 6, 2015)

Hey guys! I have been in Dubai for a month now and I haven't seen any of my friends yet. This little Dubai Poetry Slam (DPS) made me get off my ass, wore pants and went to Dubai Mall. I met like four friendships. Two for lunch and two for the DPS in the night. 

I had lunch with the Kumaresan sisters, Melissa and Kate. If you read my blog like back in 2012 I had a post meeting them in Philippines. After high school we would just meet once a year. I don't know why we don't meet more often even if we're in the same country now but her house is just way too far and so is mine and no cars for any of us. So we had lunch at Carluccio's. No pictures because Snapchat. Such a wonderful "blogger" I am. Anywho, I had a seafood pizza which was gooooooooooood. After a lot of talking in the restaurant we walked aimlessly around the mall but just decided Tim Horton's. More talking yada yada and this guy who asked me to go to the DPS finally came and so Mel and Kate went na rin (lol sorry maybe we should watch out for future tagalog). Also saw a couple of kids from my school.

So Raph finally came. None of the people who I thought were coming as he had mentioned them to me. So it was just me, him and Karel who came so late. Moving on to the whole point of this post (as the title tells us)...

This was the first time I went to a Poetry Slam! I have come across people reading their stuff but this was like pure poetry stuff or I don't know what I'm saying... whatever. So what I did was awkwardly sit in a very uncomfortable chair because I couldn't put my feet up or rest my arms jk not complaining anymore. I hope none of them read this. #notags

The thing I noticed was majority of the poets were women which gave me a lot of feels. Nope, not because we're of the same sex but because of what they wrote. They (all the poets) wrote about self-love, family, love, the metro lol and of course, themselves. All pieces were original and you just see them open up in front of their friends and strangers. It was refreshing because I never liked people who are too open about their emotions because I hate hate drama.


Highlights!!!

  • The chick who I think rapped her piece. Awesome!
  • The couple in which the guy read his poem and it was obviously about love.
  • The featured poet and friends!
  • The guy who was went in front barefoot. 
  • My friend Raph! I'm such a nice friend I don't even know his blog.

I'm really glad that I went for this. I'm going to be honest and thought it would be a bunch of emo kids and other stereotypes about poets you could think of (but I always expect the worst rather than disappointments) but boy was I wrong! These people were amazing and I wish that I could express myself the way they do. Thank you to my friend Raph for inviting me!

Snatched some pictures from their Facebook page!





No comments:

Post a Comment